Saturday, June 19, 2010

‘A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.’ ~Herm Albright


Positivity with a dash of cynicism. I like it.

Positive attitude, gratefulness, happiness all seem to go hand in hand. I have been working on these attributes, these fruits of the spirit, for the past 4 years. It seems weird to think that I have to work on being positive, work at being grateful, struggle to feel happy but it is true. Events unfolded in my life leaving me anxious, tired, bitter and unhappy. The amazing and/or interesting thing is that the events that caused me to feel this way represented less than 10 percent of my actual daily life and yet the resulting negative feelings consumed over 90% of my daily thoughts and actions.

I can not remember what event led me to begin searching, climbing, clawing my way out of that hole. Today, it doesn't seem to be any one event or realization because thankfully I can no longer remember what it truly felt like being that depressed and sad. My point though, is that although I am "healed" from that depression, I still have to work at it. Each day, I make a conscious effort towards being positive, grateful and happy. Here are a few of my steps:

  • Become aware of your self-talk and don't allow "stinkin thinkin"
  • Be grateful for your life, your gifts, and your people.
  • Don’t compare yourself to others but be inspired by them.
  • There will be bad things, try to find the lesson (or the good).
  • See failure as a stepping stone to success.
  • Surround yourself with those who are where you'd like to be.
  • Complain less, smile more.
  • Do right even when others do wrong. More importantly, treat others right even when they treat you wrong.
I guarantee if you try these things there will be days that it feels like work! Hopefully the rewards will make it worth it. Things I have accomplished by allowing the fruits of the spirit to work in me:

Baptized into Jesus
Quit smoking
Overcame debilitating depression and anxiety
Raised three kids into adulthood (still working on 4 more!)
10 year relationship that is still going strong
Develop relationships with friends that go beyond the surface
Began writing


In Galatians, regarding the fruits of the spirit Paul says, "against such things there is no law". What he means is these are not seen as good only by those who believe in God. These are known to be positive characteristics by almost everyone, in most eras, in most lands.

Give it a try and be universally correct.

1 comment:

  1. oh i love what you said here. this happens to me all of the time. i can have a terrific evening save but one snarky comment, and when i get home what do i obsess over? the one snarky comment! pretty stupid of me to ignore the 99.99% good times and let myself be bothered by one person's insensitive remark.

    writing is cathartic. i would advise anyone going thru a tough time to write out events, feelings, anything and everything to do with what is lending to the overwhelming in your life. the power of your own written word is truly amazing!!!!!!!!!!! my blog was my salvation during my tough time with issues that came crashing down on us.

    you go girl! :)

    ReplyDelete