Monday, June 14, 2010

Anniversary and Socrates

“He who is not contented with what he has, would not be contented with what he would like to have” ~Socrates


Today is my anniversary and I have been reflecting on my relationship, marriage, life. I am very content with my life. Don't get me wrong. There are days when I think about making a larger contribution to society or about earning the self-affirming paycheck but overall I am quite happy. Think about that. I am at home and Arty works at home. We are essentially with each other 24 hours a day 7 days a week. And, it has been this way for over 7 years and I love it! I feel blessed being home and seeing my kids off to school in the morning and being here when they get home in the afternoon.


But life changes even when you don't want it to. Last year my baby started kindergarten and my first born headed off to college. My 2 other big kids have moved out permanently into their own apartments. It is a difficult process accepting these changes as necessary and good. In addition, I have been thinking about changes I would "like" to happen. Do I want to work outside the home? can I find a job that fits around the kids' schedules? do I want a job or a career? should I try to go back to school? what exactly would I enjoy doing?


It is difficult for me not to have all the answers. To feel no control over my future. But life is uncertain. That may be the only thing in I’m certain about. What I work to make happen down the road may not happen. Therefore I think giving up too much of the good stuff that lies in front of me every day (time with my family) isn’t necessarily the most intelligent trade off in the world. It all goes by too quickly already. It's good for me to think about what I want but I think Socrates is reminding me to love, cherish, nourish and be grateful for what I’ve got.


I'll end with another Socrates -



“Our prayers should be for blessings in general, for God knows best what is good for us.”




1 comment:

  1. first of all, love the new background! i love my hubby too, but it really is astounding that you guys can be in such close quarters 24/7. that is definitely a testimony to your relationship!

    i also believe in family first trade-offs. life does go by too fast. there should be something fun in each day. something to smile about. a marvelous memory made. more money and stuff is seldom the answer. look inside your home at what you've got cuz therein lies contentment. :)

    ReplyDelete