Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Symptom surfing

I think I am anxious by nature. That is, I think my physiology makes me inclined to be an anxious worrier. So many times, my husband has said to me "just don't think about it". Yeah, if it were only that easy. I also believe experience has played its part. I have been afraid of death and dying since my dad died when I was 12. Then, when my mom was diagnosed with cancer 6 years ago my health concerns magnified. Every ache, pain, bump, lump, mole and freckle causes me to worry.

I have discovered that my worst response to this anxiety is symptom surfing. The internet is not the friend of an anxious worrier. When I google "weird hard lump on my hand" I don't focus on the multiple entries that says benign ganglion cyst. No, I keep reading until I find it could be cancer call your doctor right away! As many times as I have been to the doctor and been told I am completely healthy with a bit too much anxiety, I still worry about every little thing.

I want to overcome these worries and I don't think I need xanax or zoloft which seems to be the doctor's popular response. I have read that anxiety can be hormonal, biological, etc. The best response is healthy diet and regular exercise. So my question is "Why in the world do I continue to symptom surf instead of getting my butt out of this desk chair to exercise?"

No comments:

Post a Comment