Thursday, April 22, 2010

I love me some Proverbs

"For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he" (Proverbs 23:7 KJV).

If you say you can, or if you say you cannot do something, you are probably correct either way. You have to believe you are deserving of positive circumstances before good can find you. Our words and thoughts should be positive! Philippians 4:8 says, "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (KJV)"

In reflecting on these two verses, I thought about what exactly shapes my thoughts and I realized the answer was EVERYTHING. Television, internet, husband, children, neighbors, friends, weather, health, Bible, etc. So then I thought about which aspects I can control which led me to the thought that some things I can control exposure and others I can only control my response. For example, I can change my response to this rain by thinking how perfect on Earth Day for Him to water the grass naturally! (I will admit this was not my initial response! Give me a break - I am a work in progress.) I can't change the fact that it is raining. But I am now focusing on changing my response, my thoughts are about how to change the influencers around me.

I used to be completely addicted to gossip blogs. I would spend hours each day reading tabloid blogs which made me gossipy in my life. I attacked this "addiction" because of the precious time that was being wasted on a daily basis. I didn't yet recognize the negative impact on my attitude. I was surprised when I realized the result included drastically reducing my desire to gossip. I can definitely control the items I read each day. Starting a daily devotional added to the positive effects of changing my thoughts throughout the day...which of course changes my actions. Change your input to change your attitude. If you seek a positive mind and a positive attitude, you MUST expose yourself to positive information and hang around positive people. If you want to achieve positive, you have to surround yourself with it and live it. Therefore, it's not just information, it's the people in my life as well that influence my thoughts and behaviors.

Have you ever had an incidence wherein your spouse wakes up in a grumpy mood you have a little spat over breakfast and it ruins your whole day. You snap at the kids, can't focus at work and generally feel irritable. How about having lunch with a co-worker who constantly bickers with her husband and is on the brink of divorce. You spend an hour listening to her say negative things about marriage, relationships and well, men in general. You think you are being a "supportive" friend but have you considered the effects on your own thoughts toward marriage or your own husband? Do you ever feel short tempered with your spouse and you can't figure out what they did to tick you off? Ever feel depressed after spending the day with a friend who is feeling depressed? People affect each other. Their moods, thoughts, and actions.

It is said you will be the sum total of the people you associate with. If this is true, we need to sit down and really decide who is the person I want to be. I need to surround myself with those types of people. We may have to decide who we have to cut off in order to move forward in our life. I know that sounds harsh, but you can still love them, just from a bit of a distance. Most of us did this when we started families. Honestly, how many of you had to cut the party animal from college out of your life because your lifestyle had to change to fit your new circumstances? We still like the guy...just from afar! Now, find some people who can inspire you. Just get around some positive. You have to surround yourself with happiness to create happiness. You have to surround yourself with success if you want to create success. If you want to achieve spiritual growth you have to surround yourself with spiritual people and others seeking spiritual growth.

You cannot change what you don't acknowledge, so think about your current circumstances and take ownership for where you are. Be honest and say, "Most everything I have said or done until now has placed me exactly where I am." Once you've owned up to it you'll experience a type of freedom and knowledge that will allow you to make the changes needed to create happiness, success and growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment