Saturday, July 10, 2010

Over the top anxiety

So, the 3 Daniel girls left last night. They will be hitting the road with their dad today driving 18 hours to Florida where they will stay until next Sunday. I am freaking out just a little bit. Okay...a lot. My anxiety is 3-fold...

1st - I have never been away from Jillian for more than 2 days. This summer is the first time Kayla and I have been separated when she went to camp for a week so I'm still a newbie having her gone too. In all the years of our divorce, my ex has never executed his right to have the girls for 2 weeks in the summer. Not Ever. Not once in 10 years. So being separated from not 1 but 3 of my girls for all or part of 10 days I fear may be excruciating for me.

2nd - Safety. Their plan is to drive 18 hours straight through to Florida. I worry horribly about their safety. I worry about Ariele driving. I worry they won't wear their seatbelts. I'm worried they'll stop at a gas station and Kayla will go to the bathroom by herself. I'm worried about whoever drives at night staying awake. Plus, when they get there...I'm worried Jill won't wear a life jacket. I'm worried Kayla will get sunburned horribly. (I could go on and on and on!)

3rd - I worry about them visiting their dying grandfather. I have tried to prepare them for the situation. What they are going to see since Ed is in the advanced stages of lung cancer. He already has hospice, he starts radiation on Monday, he has oxygen in the home, etc. But I have also tried to prepare them for the feelings they will see and feel among their family members. Having had such a traumatic death experience when I was young and knowing how deeply affected I was I am truly worried about how my girls will process the events in the coming days....especially with only their dad to console and guide them through the experience.

Right now, I am so keyed up I actually have buzzing in my ears!

I know part of the plan needs to be distraction. It hasn't been just me and a single child since Ariele was 4! So I am trying to organize fun things for Riley and I to do since I don't have to consider the expense of me plus 7 kids! At the moment I am too overwhelmed with worry but I did manage to jot down a few ideas. Also, I plan to have a really clean house by next Sunday! In addition, I am hoping to paint at least 1 bedroom this week...hopefully 3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom. We'll see how that goes!

So it begins. 10 days.

Dear God, please watch over my kids as they travel (Seadon too - she is going to New York with her mom), be with them through this week and bring them home safely. Also, please be with Ed and Linda and all of their family and friends. I pray that Ed believes in You, our Lord, and that he will be at peace in Your kingdom. I pray for Linda that she will have family and friends around her to help and that you will be with her as she struggles through this difficult time and the loss of her husband. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. oh man! i can imagine you'll be living on pins and needles this week. looks like we'll both be in that boat. let's support each other thru our stressful weeks!!! ;)

    i still can't believe you told me he was gay!!!!!! shame, shame, shame on you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry!! it WAS Vin Diesel...not confirmed just suspicious!

    ReplyDelete