Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Inspiration and 42

I turned 42 today...in fact, yesterday. I recently read a blog written by an obvious lover of facts and trivia and it spurred me into researching factoids concerning the number 42. Here are just a few:

  • 42 degrees is the angle that light must reflect off of water to make a rainbow
  • the are 42 generations from Abraham to Jesus
  • 42 square miles make up Jerusalem
  • 42 lines on each page of the Gutenberg Bible
  • 42 dots on a pair of dice
  • Statue of Liberty's right arm is 42 feet long
  • Juliet slept for 42 hours in Romeo & Juliet

And for the win -

  • the only 42 ever retired in Major League Baseball was that of Jackie Robinson who coincidentally shares the last name of the person who inspired me to write this little post!

I probably wouldn't have worked this up into a post except for that odd coincidence.

Here is my thought process after discovering that coincidence...."coincidence, really?, is there such thing as coincidence, is everything left to chance or nothing, is there predestination, are we on the path that was laid out for us prior to our existence by an omniscient God?, is this exactly what my 42 years were meant to be from the beginning, 42 years, 42, that's a long time, long, really long, sheesh now i'm tired, man I would love 42 hours of sleep."

Good night, Romeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment